As a science communication practitioner, I also work to enhance science communication and engagement efforts within and beyond academia.
Specifically, I aim to:
- increase appreciation for the discipline of science communication and engagement;
- expand awareness and utilization of the science of science communication; and
- enhance broader impacts efforts (specifically arts and humanities integrations with science), through the application of best practices in related disciplines.
For grant-funded collaborations, I offer customized coaching and instruction so that collaborators can increase their own capacity to engage diverse audiences and stakeholders. Coaching topics include:
- Communication and engagement skill development for diverse or focused audiences, including connecting with the media, visualization/image development, and more
- Public speaking and presentation/poster design for conferences, public meetings, and other academic or public situations
- Broader Impacts proposal development, including educational program/curriculum development and educational program delivery
- Instruction and presentations as outlined in the next section
Instruction & Presentations
I lead engaging and interactive courses, workshops, and presentations for audiences of all ages (specialized and general). I specialize in art-science synergy, integration of art and science in education and broader impacts efforts, local/urban natural history, and everyday sustainability.
Visit my calendar to see when I have workshops or presentations planned, or contact me to discuss how we can work a professional development training or presentation into your next broader impacts proposal, conference, or seminar series.
Training and presentation options I offer regularly:
- Artful Science sessions, including: a) Sketching for Scientists – drawing training for researchers, field scientists, and university students. b) Drawn to Science – training in drawing skills, drawing facilitation, and drawing assessment for science instructors k12+university; workshops for science students. Click here for more details.
- Science Communication and Engagement professional development focused on topics including: Artful Science themes, professional presentations, visualization and use of images in scicomm, communicating with the media, and more.
I have recently requested presentations and training on topics including the following:
- Art-science integration through artist-scientist collaborations; historical and contemporary art-science synergies
- Coaching for science presentations made at national and international conferences
- Nature sketching workshops including drawing basics and nature drawing;
- Drawing integration training for k12 and university instructors interested in using sketching as a learning and assessment tool in their classrooms
- Digital communication tools such as Digital Photography 101, MailChimp (an email newsletter system), website design, blogging and social media
- Communicating with the media workshops
“I used your facilitated nature drawing exercises with two groups I taught this weekend at Harvard Forest, and even though I’m not an artist, they thought I was! Thanks for the resources.”
~C. Hart, Harvard Forest Outreach & Development Manager for Education & Research Programs