As a science communication practitioner, I also work to enhance science communication and engagement efforts within and beyond academia.
Specifically, I aim to:
- increase appreciation for the discipline of science communication and engagement;
- expand awareness and utilization of the science of science communication; and
- enhance broader impacts efforts (specifically arts and humanities integrations with science), through the application of best practices in related disciplines.
For grant-funded collaborations, I offer customized coaching and instruction so that collaborators can increase their own capacity to engage diverse audiences and stakeholders. Coaching topics include:
- Communication and engagement skill development for diverse or focused audiences, including connecting with the media, visualization/image development, and more
- Public speaking and presentation/poster design for conferences, public meetings, and other academic or public situations
- Broader Impacts proposal development, including educational program/curriculum development and educational program delivery
- Instruction and presentations as outlined in the next section
Instruction & Presentations
I lead engaging and interactive courses, workshops, and presentations for audiences of all ages (specialized and general). I specialize in art-science synergy, integration of art and science in education and broader impacts efforts, local/urban natural history, and everyday sustainability.
Visit my calendar to see when I have workshops or presentations planned, or contact me to discuss how we can work a professional development training or presentation into your next broader impacts proposal, conference, or seminar series.
Training and presentation options I offer regularly:
- Artful Science sessions, including: a) Sketching for Scientists – drawing training for researchers, field scientists, and university students. b) Drawn to Science – training in drawing skills, drawing facilitation, and drawing assessment for science instructors k12+university; workshops for science students. Click here for more details.
- Science Communication and Engagement professional development focused on topics including: Artful Science themes, professional presentations, visualization and use of images in scicomm, communicating with the media, and more.
My collaborators have recently requested presentations and training on topics including the following:
- Art-science integration through artist-scientist collaborations; historical and contemporary art-science synergies
- Coaching for science presentations made at national and international conferences
- Nature sketching workshops including drawing basics and nature drawing;
- Drawing integration training for k12 and university instructors interested in using sketching as a learning and assessment tool in their classrooms
- Digital communication tools such as Digital Photography 101, MailChimp (an email newsletter system), website design, blogging and social media
- Communicating with the media workshops
“I used your facilitated nature drawing exercises with two groups I taught this weekend at Harvard Forest, and even though I’m not an artist, they thought I was! Thanks for the resources.” C. Hart, Harvard Forest Outreach & Development Manager for Education & Research Programs