Let’s meet up!
Check out the calendar below for workshops, public speaking events, and other activities I have lined up. I list some of my project planning sessions, so you can get an idea of what I’m working on, and I have included interesting public events where I’ll be in the audience. Maybe I’ll bump into you there. Or, click here to check out where my work regularly appears.
- 1/1-1/7: I’ll kick off 2017 by curating the @iamsciart Twitter account! Primary topics will be a) strategies for integrating drawing in science classrooms and b) basic instruction to avoid the “told but not taught” issue which is unfortunately common when drawing integration is attempted.
- 1/12-19: Writing Residency; Shortgrass Steppe Long Term Ecological Research Station; northeast Colorado
- 1/21: Wyoming Humanities Council “Insight: Legends”; invited public talk about The Ecologically True Story of the Tortoise and the Hare; Cheyenne, WY
- 2/20: Drawn to Illustration; In a 1-hour live webinar hosted by the Textbook & Academic Authors Association, I’ll provide tips on working with an illustrator, plus a couple of hands-on activities for creating your own concept sketches or finished illustrations.
- 4/3: Center for Global Studies poster presentation entitled “Drawn to Science-Using the Arts to Investigate Social, Conservation & Ecological Relationships”; invited public presentation about The Ecologically True Story of the Tortoise and the Hare; Laramie, Wyoming
- 5/15: Invited panelist for Graduate Writing Workout, a thesis/dissertation writing course; University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming.
- 5/23: Invited plenary Talk about art-science integration as a way to communicate science; Western Division of American Fisheries Society; Missoula, MT
- 5/24: “Drawn to Food” sketching and illustration workshop; Moonlight Kitchens, Missoula, MT
- 6/2017: Teaching drawing skills and how to integrate drawing into science learning; University of Wyoming Art Museum’s Summer Teaching Institute; Laramie, WY
- 8/8: Invited ignite talk about drawing and science, as part of “Ecological Art-Science Collaborations.” Ecological Society of America annual meeting; Portland, Oregon.
- 8/2017-9/2017: Exhibit of “The Ecologically True Story of the Tortoise and the Hare” hosted by the University of Wyoming’s Biodiversity Institute. Exhibit opening reception will be 5:30-7:30 p.m., September 1, 2017 at the Berry Center.
- 9/23: Drawn to the Outdoors workshops; Wyoming Outdoor Council 50th anniversary celebration
- 11/2016: Drawn to Wildlife workshop; Wyoming chapter of The Wildlife Society annual meeting; Cody, WY
- 9/2016: 2 nature sketching workshops; University of Wyoming Zoology/Physiology Dept. first year seminar in natural history class; Laramie, WY
- 8/2016: Writing Residency; National Park Service/University of Wyoming AMK Ranch Research Station; Grand Teton National Park, WY
- 8/2016: 2 science communication workshops; Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting; Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 7/2016: Drawn to Science professional development training & program development; Art Museum Summer Teaching Institute; Laramie, WY
- 6/2016: Drawn to Science professional development training; University of Wyoming Summer Science Institute; Laramie, WY
- 3/2016: Drawn to Science: Using analog technology (art!) to teach and learn science workshop; Ellbogen Center for Teaching and Learning; Laramie, WY
- 3/2016: Drawn to Biodiversity workshop; Biodiversity Institute; Laramie, WY
- 2/2016: Visual journaling workshop; Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources Art & Environment class
- 2/2016: Art-science synergy seminar talk; University of Wyoming Zoology/Physiology Dept.; Laramie, WY
- 1/2015: Sketching for Scientists; Harvard University/Harvard Forest
- 1/2015: Drawn to the Landscape; Harvard University/Harvard Forest
- 6/2015: Drawn to Natural History; Glacier Institute; Glacier National Park
- 6/2015: Drawn to Life-Visual Note-Taking; Old Man River Valley, Alberta
- 7/2015: GNSI Drawing Toolkit; Arcadia University, Pennsylvania; Guild of Natural Science Illustrators
- 8/2015: Drawn to Science-Teacher Professional Development; Roadmap to STEM Conference, Wyoming Department of Education; Sheridan, WY
- 8/2015: Drawn to Biodiversity workshop; Biodiversity Institute; Laramie, WY
- 8/2015: Communicating Science Vividly; Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting; Baltimore, MD
- 8/2015: Drawn to Natural History; Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting; Baltimore, MD
- 9/2015: Drawn to Biodiversity; Biodiversity Institute; Laramie, WY
- 10/2015: Drawn to Water-WY Girl Scouts Intro to Field Journals & Data Collection; Biodiversity Institute; Laramie, WY
- 10/2015: Drawn to Water-WY Girl Scouts Field Journals & Field Sketching; Biodiversity Institute; Laramie, WY
- All summer – Public group sketching sessions in Quebec City
- August 10 – Sacramento, CA: ‘Sketching for Scientists’ @ Ecological Society of America annual meeting
- August 23 – Quebec City, QC: ‘Drawing from Life’ for kids @ Morrin Centre
- August 10 – Quebec City, QC: ‘Drawn to History’ for adults @ Morrin Centre
- October 14 – Online webinar: Increasing your impact: Planning, design, and implementation of email-based communications for CEDEC’s Small Business Support Network
- October 23 – Quebec City, QC: ‘Drawn to Mount Olympus’ for adults @ Musée de la civilisation (in French)
- October 28 – Pittsburgh, PA: Drawn to Science & Sustainability @ Phipp’s Conservatory
Don’t see something scheduled for your area, or want to see me sooner?
Just contact me directly to schedule a session on science communication, facilitated drawing, sustainability, and a host of other possibilities.
“You did a fantastic job in presenting an insightful talk and some easy exercises that were empowering.” M. Thibeau, executive director; community development & entrepreneurship organization (Canada)