A few weeks ago, a friend wrote and asked me: “What natural history illustrators/artist-scientists would you want to use to inspire youth/adults to love nature, art, and science?”
- Cathy Johnson
- Jenny Keller – contributor to Field Notes on Science and Nature (see below)
- Bernd Heinrich – see also this piece with commentary re all his books/sketches
- John Muir Laws
- Maria Sybilla Merian (1647-1717) – see also this piece from The Atlantic
- Beatrix Potter
- Leonardo Da Vinci
- Genevieve Jones – “America’s Other Audubon”
- Claire Emery
And, here are a couple of books that can get you rolling with even more ideas & inspiring SciArtists:
- Field Notes on Science and Nature -essays with field note examples from about 10 different people who do field work and use field journals/notebooks.
- The Heyday of Natural History – great investigation of how the pursuit of natural history became a popular past time and then developed into specialized science
- I want to read this one: Of Green Leaf, Bird, and Flower: Artists’ Books and the Natural World.