SCIENCE IN ACTION
- “Honestly, I think those are some of the coolest photos that I have seen come off of any of our [prescribed burns]. It clearly shows that we need to bring people with us that know how to use cameras. Your photos are especially great because you have shots with everyone wearing the proper PPE which sadly is an irregularity. These will be great for determining fire intensity. I will be sure to mention you in my report to my manager about this prescribed fire.” Fire Management Technician, Prince Albert National Park (Canada) re these images.
FOOD & TRAVEL
- “Amazing pics! The last one is incredible.” re Prince Edward Island porfolio
- “The article on Quebec lobster has excellent photos. It’s hard to photograph food, but you seem to have a professional eye for it. When I saw it I was ready to dig right in!” re this article
- “Beautiful pictures, the wedge of cheese on the bottom one made me drool!” re this article
- “The vibrancy of this photograph is gripping. Yes, the photographer should be credited with pulling out the stops to get this wonderfully aligned pack of cyclists. But the real joy of this photo lies in the endless colour bursts within arrested action, laid out against that luscious green backdrop.” James McLean, Graduate Program Director, Concordia University/Department of Journalism when awarding me Best News Photo 2013 (3rd place)
- “The Outstanding Photojournalism Award is presented to the individual who has shown the best overall performance in photojournalism in the year as determined by judges in reviewing all entries. The 2013 winner of the Outstanding Photojournalism Award is Bethann G. Merkle.” Click here for details.
- “Collaborating with photographer Bethann Merkle during our annual volunteer appreciation evening was a delight. Her ability to capture the moment while being unobtrusive was remarkable – her equipment works in low light and her images caught great expressions and flattering poses even though people were eating and talking. Her professionalism shone through in every aspect of her work, and our staff and volunteers were able to relax and enjoy the event knowing she was taking care of recording it. I really appreciate her attention to detail, creativity, and on-time delivery. I would recommend her work to other non-profit orgs looking for something a little out of the ordinary!” Jan Anderson, Jeffrey Hale Community Services
- “Sentiments echoed here. You have a real talent.” T. Ireland, Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph general manager re Quebec Community Newspaper Association featuring my photograph of massive military concert
- “You are a FABULOUS event photographer. You captured so many of the moments that I will remember so well.” Bridesmaid/sister of the bride; pre-wedding shots at a Seattle wedding.
- “Your photography of the horses is STUNNING!!!” re winter horse-and-sleigh race photos
- “Excellent action shot!” Ken Johnston, Managing Editor, Rainy River Record, when awarding me Best Sports Photo 2013 (2nd place)